Monday, November 21, 2011

Thanksgiving Prep


The big day is almost here! Today I have to get busy. I'm planning on starting with making my pies today and while that flour mess is there, making the noodles. When the noodles are dry I can store them in jars until the ever wonderful day of giving thanks for the years bounty.

It may be an American holiday, but anyone could celebrate and give thanks for all they have received and enjoyed for the year.
There is so much argument over how and where the tradition of celebrating the harvest came form. It really seems that almost every country had their feasts of celebration. There is also the argument that even the great American Indian celebrated their bounty.

Here is a site that shows some of the history that I found I liked.
It seems to be very inclusive yet not drawn out and boring. There are three pages, but they are very short.

No mater where it started, it does to me seem the perfect way of thanking mother earth for what she gives us. We throw a party for her and we get to enjoy the families and friends she nourishes as we thank her. After all where would any of us be without her...

Today I'll leave you with one of the pie recipes I enjoy the most at Thanksgiving or nearly any other time of the year.
Hope you'll try it and enjoy!

Sweet Potato Pie

1 bottom pie shell (I prefer homemade pie crust)
1 1/2 C Sweet Potatoes Cooked and Mashed
1 C Sugar
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/8 tsp Nutmeg
1 tsp Salt
2 Tbl Butter
2 Eggs
1 C Milk

Beat eggs slightly, add sugar, spices and milk.
Add butter to sweet potatoes and blend with milk and egg mixture.
Pour into pie shell. – Bake at 450 deg. for 18 min.
Reduce oven to 350 deg. and bake until knife comes out clean when put into center of pie.

By the way 1 – 17 oz. Can of Vacuum packed Sweet Potatoes works just fine if you don't want to bake the potato's yourself.

Served warm with whipped cream over the top is always a joy to my taste buds. But I always have a slice of pumpkin pie along side.

You can just never get to much pie!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment