Friday, October 12, 2012

Playing Hookey From My Work


Why do so many get stuck on the far left or the far right instead of taking the safe road and listening closely to both sides?

Why do so many think they can beat other people into thinking their way by speaking hateful words or with threats of physical violence?

These are a few things that went rumbling through my mind over the past few days.
Every darned presidential election they come to my mind. Maybe that is why I refuse to take an absolute stand on either side. But it could be too that I haven't seen or heard of a good political candidate for many many years.
I really wish from somewhere, someone would step from their life and take the political reins of this country and get us back on a good track.
There has to be someone out there that could...


Well, I was in a happy, singing and dancing mood yesterday and just didn't feel like working at all. So I played hookey!

While I was in my great mood I decided it was time to make some cookies.
(I do not consider that work. Cooking and baking to me are a form of play.)
(((Especially when I'm dancing around the kitchen with the tools)))
I like oatmeal cookies. But... I have always wanted an even better tasting oatmeal cookie. One that in my twisted mind could possibly be considered at least a little healthy too.

Over the past bunch of months I've been playing with the original oatmeal cookie recipe from the Quaker Oatmeal box. That was the best recipe I'd found since way back when I began making cookies. I tried others but always came back to that.

According to my taste buds, my kids and my grandkids, I have finally concocted the great tasting cookie I was looking for.

It's a Peanut butter, Oatmeal, Raisin cookie.
I do believe with all my heart and soul that a few of these make the perfect healthy breakfast. OK, when balanced with coffee. Maybe with milk for the kids when they are in a hurry.

As far as calories go I couldn't care less.
I believe working hard and playing hard are the best exercise for the body, soul and figure, then mixed with a dash of pleasure!!!
Best for the mind.

That's worked well for me for over fifty eight years now and I'm not gonna change.

If you want to try them you'll either have to come visit me or make some for yourself.

Now I'm not the greedy type so here is my recipe free from charge:


1 Cup softened Butter (1 Cup = 2 sticks butter)
3/4 Cup Brown Sugar/firmly packed
1/2 Cup Sugar

2 Eggs
1 teaspoon Vanilla
2 Tablespoons Molasses
1/2 Cup Peanut Butter

1 Cup All Purpose Flour
1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon Salt

3 Cups Oatmeal
1 Cup Raisins

Beat the butter and sugars until creamy. I use an electric mixer on medium for this. Add eggs, vanilla, molasses and peanut butter, beat well.

This is where I begin mixing by hand with a stiff spatula or wooden spoon.
Mix flours, baking soda, cinnamon and salt, then mix them into the wet ingredients. Mix well.

Stir in oatmeal and raisins. Folding them in well and making sure to dig clear to the bottom so the oatmeal and raisins are mixed clear through. When you think you've folded enough, fold a few more times.

By Tablespoons. Place about 2 inches apart on cookie sheet. Flatten to about 1/2 inch.
Bake at 350 for appx 8 to10 minutes.

(**NEVER** trust an oven or a clock. Ovens can be off a few degrees and time will be a little different for every oven. Trust your eyes for the best cookies. When it's almost time, check with your eyes.)

Take them out when they are turning brown around the bottom but still look a little undercooked on top and the heat will finish cooking them, but they will still be moist chewy cookies with just a bit of crunch on the bottoms.
I'm now using one of those small ice cream scoop looking things that holds a Tablespoon to make cookies. I'm finding the recipe makes about 6 dozen +
But it's so hard to keep count when your sampling them as they cool : )

Hope you enjoy!!!
And remember, cookies make people smile so you really should share them.


No comments:

Post a Comment