Wednesday, December 19, 2012

More Cookies


Along with the usual chores. Then getting the grandkids on the bus some mornings and getting them off the bus some evenings and watching them until their mom gets off work, I've been a very busy guy.

Friday I made Oatmeal Raisin and Plain Oatmeal cookies. About six dozen cookies in each recipe.
The plain Oatmeal is the same as on the Oatmeal boxes from Quaker. My Oatmeal Raisin cookie recipe is already here on the blog at

Saturday I made three and a half dozen Tea Balls and two and a half pounds of Potato Candy.

Tea Balls
Mix
1 Cup Softened Butter
1/2 Cup Sifted Powdered Sugar
1 Teaspoon Vanilla or Black Walnut Flavoring

Mix
2 1/2 Cup Sifted Flour
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
3/4 Cup Chopped walnuts

Add that to the first mix and mix to a dough.

Chill the dough.
Roll the dough into 1 inch balls and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake at 400 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes or until set and light brown.
While still warm roll in Powdered sugar and set aside to cool.
When cool roll in powdered sugar again.

Potato Candy
Mix
1/2 Cup Mashed Potatoes
4 teaspoons Vanilla extract
about "1" - 2 pound bag Powdered Sugar

Mix to dough like consistency – mix in a little powdered sugar at a time. I start with half the bag and then keep adding until it gets to a thick dough. (When you first start it looks like a failure, but don't worry it will thicken.)
If it gets too thick add more potatoes. But just a very little at a time.

Roll about a third of the dough at a time out on waxed paper - I dust the waxed paper with more powdered sugar to keep it from sticking so bad. I also use a piece of waxed paper over the candy when rolling so it doesn't make my roller so messy.
Roll it longer than wide. I start by making it more of a log shape with my hands before rolling.
I try to roll it to about a 12 inch by 6 inch shape.

Spread it with Peanut butter. Leave some space near the edges or the peanut butter will mush out when you roll it into a log shape.

Roll up into a log shape. Use the waxed paper to help you roll it up and peel the paper away while rolling.
Then cut into about 1/4 inch pieces.

I then let it dry a little on the waxed paper and then put it in a metal tin to store it in with waxed paper between the layers.

It makes about two and a half pounds of candy which never seems to last very long around here. Everyone enjoys it, friends and family. I add some to all the cookie platters and boxes I give as gifts.

One word of warning though.
This “IS CANDY”.
If you eat too much at one time you will get a belly ache.
I know this from way too much experience.
For those that can not eat peanut butter there is a old Amish recipe for potato candy.
That recipe is exactly the same except for the peanut butter.
Instead of rolling the dough out and spreading peanut butter on, they only roll the dough into balls.
I've tried it and it's great, but I'm just spoiled to the way my grandma and mom made it.


Monday afternoon after the electricity came back on I made eight dozen Peanut Butter cookies and two batches of Anzac cookies or nine dozen. I hadn't planned on making two batches, but my brain went on vacation and I forgot to take the first sheet of cookies out of the oven on time and kinda overcooked almost half the cookies. They weren't really burned, but were very super crunchy.

That Anzac cookie is an Australian cookie that one of the members here on the blog and who is a friend, told me about. She even sent me the Golden Syrup which is a part of the recipe. I've been looking all over in the stores for that and still can't find it anywhere. I have found it on line though and will have to order some.
Everyone I have given some to seems to love them and asks about them. They have become another on my Christmas cookie list to make every year and include on my gift plates and boxes of cookies.

The peanut butter cookie recipe I use is the one on the Jiff jar.
The Anzac recipe is really not mine to give out, but should I get permission from my friend I will. There are some Anzac recipes on the web that I've found though.

I had intended on taking two days off from baking to get other work done and finishing my cookie making on Thursday, but we had a very wild weather day on Tuesday.
Seriously! We had rain, high winds mixed with rain, then snow flurries and finished up later in the day with sun and calm.
So since I didn't want to contend with the weather I made cookies.
I made Chocolate Chip cookies, which I use the recipe on the Nestle's bag.
I also made the Sugar cookies which made me famous around these parts when my children took them to school for snack days. One little girl actually told me they were better than her mom's right in front of her mom.

Sugar Cookies

1 Cup (2 Sticks) Softened Butter
1 Cup Sugar
Beat these in a large bowl at high speed.

Add: 2 Eggs
2 1/2 teaspoons Vanilla
Beat until light and fluffy.

Sift: 3 1/2 Cup Flour
2 1/4 teaspoons Baking Powder
1/4 teaspoon Salt

Stir the flour mixture into the butter sugar mixture.

Shape into 1 inch balls and place on a cookie sheet
Butter the bottom of a glass and dip into sugar. Flatten cookies to 1/4 inch with the bottom of the glass. (I have flattened them with only butter on the bottom of a glass and did away with the extra sugar with great results)
Bake at 375 degrees about 10 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned.
Makes about 4 1/2 Dozen
* This dough can be rolled to 1/4 inch thick and cut with cookie cutters.
You can also use the red and green colored sugars for the holidays.

I found this recipe in a very old cookbook years ago and for the life of me I can't recall the name of the book. I tried it and liked it enough to add it to my recipe collection. And like I said it's very popular with kids and it's also popular with adults.

In an adult version of this cookie I followed this recipe and I replaced the vanilla with bourbon and that was fantastic!
I've also used almond extract which was great also.

Over the years I've found that following recipes is a great way to learn.
Once you have it figured out though it's fun to try different spices and flavorings and come up with your own delicacies.

Well should you try any of these I certainly hope you enjoy them as much as we do.
Have fun and have a great smiling day!



No comments:

Post a Comment