Friday, July 20, 2012

Mmm, Good Food


I tried a new recipe last Friday. Yah, Friday the 13th. But hey Friday the 13th usually turns out to be a lucky day for me. Or as I say, it's the day that bad luck is so busy with others it leaves me alone.

I adapted a recipe I had seen on a cooking show.

Swedish Meatballs

Put 2 eggs in a mixing bowl
Add about as much milk as eggs
Whisk eggs and milk
Add 6 slices of white bread with crusts removed and roughly cubed
Soak bread in eggs and milk

Mix in
1 pound of lean ground pork
1 pound of lean ground beef
Chop and add one medium size mild white onion
Season with salt and pepper

Wet your hands to keep from sticking and roll meatballs about 1 inch in diameter.

Lightly brown them in 3 to 4 swirls of oil with butter added over medium heat. You want them to be a golden brown color.

The recipe made about 4 dozen. But I ate three while browning the rest...

The meatballs turned out very light and tender and super moist.
I served them with mushroom gravy over them. Even my grandchildren loved them!
I also served them with sweet and sour green beans and herbed fried potatoes.


I saved a few before serving in a freezer bowl for one of those days when I'd be eating alone and not wanting to cook. All I'll have to do is heat them in the microwave.

Even the dogs had a treat the next morning. I put the grease from making the meatballs over their food. By the tail wagging that went on and the growls when each would dare to even look at the others food dish, I guess they too thought the flavors were great...

I really don't have any plans for this weekend so I'll probably be spending some more time in the kitchen trying something else. Well, unless it gets to hot. But I hear from the weather report it shouldn't... We're on day two of rain and the prediction is for rain at least half of the day Saturday.


When I get the chance and feel like it, I spend time cooking up a few different dishes and then separate them into individual meals. I then freeze them so I have great tasting food on days of the week that I'm busy or for when I just don't feel like cooking.

Only problem is that my ever hungry son knows I do that and often finds my hidden stash of frozen homemade TV dinners.
Maybe I should put a chain and lock around the refrigerator and freezer!
Then again he even gets my snack foods. Maybe I should just put a door on the kitchen and lock that!

Have a great weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment