Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Prisons Called Homes


Many of us as adults often wonder why kids today are bored. They sit around the house and mope. They drive us nuts when they complain.
We see they have so many things that we never even dreamed of having and there is no way we can imagine being bored while having so much.

But what do we teach them?

As a boy I used to walk and run the woods, fields and streets from sun up until sun down. Used to drive my mother nuts wondering where I was and what I was up to. She would have to call several numbers just to find out who had seen me last so she could try and get hold of me for meals.

My heroes were the likes of Daniel Boone, Kitt Carson and Davy Crockett. I like them, did everything on foot. They were adventurers long before cars and trucks were around for transportation. They hiked this huge country when not everyone had horses to ride or could even afford that luxury.

Much of that carries with me today and is possibly the reason I appreciate nature so much. I learned to read the sky. I learned to listen to the trees and bushes when they speak. I learned to recognize what the animals, big and small were telling me and teaching me.

I had little to worry about though other than the occasional angry animal telling me to get away and leave him to his space or the grouchy old man yelling “get the he-- off of my property”.

Predatory humans did exist but were kept in check by people who had a backbone and would willingly and openly punish them. The laws did not protect the predators.

But today we have allowed the laws to be twisted to protect bad people. Now instead we punish our children by making them stay at home and live in fear of the predators.

We refuse to chase down predators on our own and chose to allow only police to do the job of catching them and trying to stop them. A small handful of police in comparison to the amount of people in a large area. Only a handful who may be at the other side of the county, township, or city when they are needed.

We as a society could never afford what it would cost to have a police officer for every quarter square mile or less that would be needed for protection.

Young people or children today do not have the same opportunities we had. We don't allow them to adventure on their own into the world to discover. Rightfully so we can't when we know there are predatory humans running free and protected.

Somehow we as society need to make the lawmakers wake up and either change the laws or write new laws to take away the protection of people who do bad.

As a boy I was taught that when you do bad, you lose your rights. Made me angry as a child, yet also made sense. Makes more sense now that I've been in society as an adult and raised children. Even my kids understood this basic premiss.

We can't rush out and just start taking everything into our own hands simply because then we would be law breakers. But we must take back our streets.
Right now all I can think of is to start writing millions of letters to our representatives and law makers.

One letter on their desk will only be overlooked and forgotten. But millions of letters will surely have to make them take notice and give them the incentive to start doing something about the situation.

Legal protests and demonstrations would possibly make them see that we are all wanting them to act in our struggle to take back the streets and freedoms. Make it possible as a society to protect ourselves and our children from bad people who would do harm.

Not to just go out and start hanging bad people or shooting them, but to be free to use whatever is necessary to hold them until the police can arrive without being thrown in jail for doing so.

This is just something that is going through my mind. I sure hope that maybe it will go through yours and you will pass it on to others so we can find a way to take back our streets, roads and neighborhoods.



No comments:

Post a Comment